If you really want to become a professional writer, this is the course for you.
"Having a writing career was always one of my dreams, I just wasn't sure how to make it happen. Nikki's freelance course was the puzzle piece I was missing. It was life-changing. Having access to the knowledge of a true media pro like Nikki was invaluable in making my writing career a reality. I now write and edit for a living full time." — Alicia Palma-Espinoza
So you’ve been doing this blog thing for some time, and you’ve completely fallen in love — with the creativity, the freedom, and most surprisingly the writing.
That’s because you are a writer. You’re surprised, aren’t you? And a little embarrassed, too.
Do people really make a living writing?
Can you really become a full-time writer without any schooling?
The answer is YES.
YES, you can switch careers and make an income from writing.
YES, you can start from where you are — no fancy degree needed. All that is needed is the burning desire, faith in yourself, and some industry knowledge.
From Blogger to Paid Writer was designed to provide you with that industry knowledge you need to get from where you are to where you dream to be.
I was in your shoes just a few years ago. I hated my job and secretly dreamed of becoming a writer — yet, I had no idea how to make that happen. Plus, I really didn’t want to go back to school and set myself back a few years.
And then I met some writers. Real, working writers. Over dinner, they shared a few industry secrets with me that changed my life. It was enough to get me started. Armed with some much-needed knowledge and some serious perseverance, I embarked on my new life as a writer.
Before I knew it, writing was my full-time job. Since them, I’ve held editor positions with MSN, NBC, Refinery29 and others. Plus, I’ve written for Town & Country, Huffington Post, Allure, Zagat, and DailyWorth, just to name a few.
There’s this small gap of knowledge between where you are and where you want to go.
From Blogger to Paid Writer will fill that gap for you.
Don't believe me? See what former students have to say.
"Even though I have a university degree in writing, Nikki's course is what actually taught me how to make money as a freelance writer. Nikki genuinely wants you to succeed, so she generously shares her years of media experience in an easy-to-understand way that makes accomplishing your goal of being a writer seem attainable. Because of her training, I'm now living the dream freelance writing full-time, while traveling." —Nicky Valdez
From Blogger to Paid Writer is a five-class online course for bloggers looking to break into freelance writing. The course focuses on writing for print and online publications, but students will also learn:
- How to brand yourself as a writer
- How to build your portfolio and clippings
- What kind of work you can look for as a freelance writer
- How to get freelance writing gigs
- How to land your first published story
- How to find the editors that hire writers
- How to write a killer pitch that will land you a writing opportunity
- How to present yourself as a professional
CLASS ONE: The Work Available for Writers
- First, we’ll cover the three main paths for working writers – what they are, and what it takes to break into each. This course really focuses on the freelance writer, but we’ll also talk about the other kinds of writers, as well.
- Next, I’m going to teach you how to find the people who actually hire writers.
- And last, we’ll cover the secret behind finding the best writing gigs.
CLASS TWO: Branding Yourself as a Writer
- Why you need a website as a working writer.
- The pages you absolutely need on your website.
- How to create those pages the right way.
CLASS THREE: Going From New Writer to Established Writer
- How to get over the fear of being a newbie with zero experience and training.
- What clippings are and why you need them.
- How to score your first few published articles.
- And how to price your work and quote clients.
CLASS FOUR: Getting Published in Magazines and Online Publications
- How freelancers actually get assigned stories for magazines and online publications.
- What editors look for in a writer.
- What are the most common story types.
- And how to come up with great story ideas that an editor can’t refuse.
CLASS FIVE: Pitching Editors and Landing Paid Editorial Freelance Work
- The communication that actually gets you the writing opportunity. It’s called the pitch.
- You’ll learn how to craft a pitch.
- And you’ll see what they actually look like.
- You’ll also learn how to get your pitch into the right hands.
StartClass One: The Work Available for Writers (21:46)
StartClass Two: Branding Yourself as a Writer (14:18)
StartClass Three: Going From New Writer to Established Writer (22:30)
StartClass Four: Getting Published in Magazines and Online Publications (30:39)
StartClass Five: Pitching Editors and Landing Paid Editorial Freelance Work (19:18)
Need a Little More? We Got You.
Register for From Blogger to Paid Writer and get these bonuses:
1. Downloadable Class Notes
Whether you like to listen, watch, or read, this class has it all for you. In addition to videos, you will be able to download class notes for each lesson.
2. Free TemplatesWe’re not going to teach you and just through you at the wolves. You’ll be receiving templates that we use ourselves, including:
- A sample email to a possible writing mentor
- Sample pitches to editors
We’ve created worksheets that will walk you step-by-step through each of your assignments; assisting you in hitting each of your course goals. Worksheets included are:
- How to create a writer’s about me page
- How to know what to charge a client
- How to write a pitch
- How to come up with story ideas
Nikki Novo is a Cuban-American self-help author and inspirational speaker. Previous to writing her first book, “Will I be Alone Forever,” Nikki was the Miami editor for Refinery29, the editor for DailyCandy Miami, and an editor at MSN. Her work has been seen in Town & Country magazine, Allure magazine, the Huffington Post, MSN.com, the Zagat, and others. Nikki is also a certified hypnotherapist with the International Association of Counselors and Therapists, a certified ThetaHealer, and a certified Reiki healer. Nikki resides in Miami with her family consisting of her husband, tween daughter, toddler boy, and three-pound Yorkie - who is also her desk mate.